Anyone who has ever been to Hawaii knows exactly what I am talking about when I say that extraordinary energy vibrates in Hawaii. The islands are somehow magical. Each of the islands carries an individual vibe - but what connects them all is the very conscious and nature-loving lifestyle of most Hawaiians. Aloha means much more than just a greeting or goodbye. Aloha is love, compassion, respect, forgiveness, mindfulness, humility and much more. It is a kind of philosophy of life that can be seen and felt on the islands and in the mentality of the islanders.. The values lived there harmonize perfectly with the path of yoga.
The people of Hawaii live in harmony with themselves and nature, the animals and the sea. A high level of consciousness and a mindful approach to themselves, as well as nature, is implemented into the roots of the Hawaiians. So it is not surprising that consciousness-raising practices such as yoga and meditation are very popular on the islands. The offer of yoga courses and retreats is large because Hawaii provides the perfect environment to practice yoga due to the spirit and the impressive, powerful nature.
There has been a new trend in the yoga scene, for quite some years now, which is SUP Yoga/Paddleboard Yoga. The exercises performed in yoga (Asanas) are practised in the water on a paddleboard (SUP). This special combination of yoga and SUP originates from America and can be found in many places on the Hawaiian islands. It is certainly an exciting and special experience.
Get carried away and enjoy a yoga session on the beach. If you don't have much experience yet, join a yoga studio, of which I would like to present you a small selection here:
Yoga studios on Ohau
- Beach/Sunset Yoga Hawaii Waikiki - Daily sunrise and sunset yoga classes are offered at Sans Souci State Recreational Park. The "outdoor studio" also hosts guided hike-and-yoga combination tours on Ohau. More info and reservations under: https://www.sunsetyogahawaii.com
- Open Space Yoga (Haleiwa) - For 15 years, various courses in different styles, including Hatha, Vinyasa, Yin and Ashtanga, are offered. In addition to the yoga classes, there are often interesting workshops about yoga and Ayurveda, as well as meditation. In this studio, you can also take various yoga teacher training courses. More information under: https://www.yogaopenspace.com/
- Yoga Kai Hawai'i (Honolulu) - Different yoga classes on the paddleboard (SUP) at Waikiki Beach and the North Shore are provided here. A special highlight is a SUP yoga class at night (SUP-Glowga) on a glowing paddleboard, with Waikiki's skyline in the background. Addresses: 62-449 Kamehameha Hwy, Haleiwa and 1201 Ala Moana Blvd, magic islands. More info under: https://www.yogakaihawaii.com/
Yoga studios on Maui
- Mangala Yoga Studios (in Makawao and Haiku) - A very diverse schedule of classes and styles is offered here. The classes are authentic and connect to the vibe of the island, which is why the founder (Maureen Gildersleeve) has a name in the yoga scene there. Address: 810 Kokomo Rd 102, Haiku, 1170 Makawao Ave, Makawao) Info and booking under: https://mangalayogastudios.com/
- Maui Yoga Path (Kihei) - If you would like to practice yoga on one of the beautiful beaches on Maui's south coast, you'll find daily classes here. The place is located under palm trees on a lawn and is located directly on the beach, the sound of breaking waves included. Address: 2960 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, Hawaii 96753 United States. Info under: https://mauiyogapath.com/.
Yoga studios on Big Island
- Yoga Hale (Kona) - A yoga school with years of experience which offers several yoga classes with different styles every day. All classes are donations based, each person pays as much as the experience is worth to him or her. Address: 75-5725 Alii Drive, Suite B102, Kona Marketplace II, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740. More info under: https://www.yogahale.com/
- Yoga Centered (Hilo) - In this yoga studio, the Aloha spirit is the motto to inspire people. The studio was built in 2002, making it the first of its kind on the east side of the island. Yoga teacher training is also offered here. Address: 27 Waianuenue Ave. Suite 202, Hilo, HI 96720. Find out more under: https://yogacentered.com/
Yoga studios on Kauai
- Kauai Yoga on the Beach - Those in the mood for yoga in nature will find daily classes offered at this outdoor school on the beach. Address: 420 Papaloa Rd, Kapaʻa, HI 96746 / Kauai Shores Hotel. Info under: http://www.kauaiyogaonthebeach.com/
- Kalaheo Yoga - Yoga classes for all different levels. Address: 4427 Papalina road Kalaheo, Kauai 96741. You can find out more here: https://www.kalaheoyoga.com/